Students use the essential processes of Ways of working to develop and demonstrate their knowledge and understanding. They individually and collaboratively make decisions, take action and apply skills to promote health and wellbeing, movement capacities and personal development of individuals, groups and communities. They reflect on their learning and ways to capitalise on the benefits of positive influences on their health and wellbeing.
Students select and use tools and technologies, including information and communication technologies (ICTs), in purposeful ways. They make use of the potential that ICTs provide to inquire, create and communicate within health and physical education contexts.
Specialist Physical Education teachers are employed at our school.
Students from Prep to year 7 take part in regular weekly lessons. The Health and Physical Education (HPE) program contains developmental units covering:
• Games skills and ball skills and activities
• Modified sports and games
• Athletic skills
• Physical fitness games and activities
• Aquatic skills and water polo (flipper ball)
• Swimming Stroke development
• Water survival and rescue techniques
Coorparoo State School has 3 sports houses - Melba (blue), Wentworth (green) andTurner(red). Students wear their respective colours and compete for house honours and individual honours during the four main intra-house championships throughout the year:
• Cross Country (currently held April /May) Year P-7
• Athletics (currently held June /July) Years P-7
• Triathlon (November) Years 5-7
• Swimming (December) Years 1-7
Coorparoo has a proud tradition of sporting prowess and boasts some all time great Olympians who attended the school such as Chilla Porter (Silver in the High Jump Melbourne 1956) and John Seiben (Gold in the 50 metres Butterfly Los Angeles 1984.